Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Br{ass}

Yeah, I hate brass, can you tell? ;). But, despite my feelings towards the "maybe someone will think it's gold" finish, our house is loaded with it. Brass doorknobs, brass hinges, brass light fixtures in the halls, laundry room, walk-in closet and panty. And one big, old brassy light fixture in the kitchen. I hated it so much that just a few months after moving in and several times banging my head on it, we swagged it off to the side, about as close to the ceiling as we could get it. Sadly the "out of sight, out of mind" trick never really worked. It just looked even worse hanging in such a weird position. So, almost nine years later, in the interest of making some thrifty changes and learning to love what we have, we start another ode to spray paint.

First slip on some shades and look at the "before". (Confession - this isn't really our fixture. I had to snag it off of a building supply site. I was so swept up in the moment of changing this thing that I forgot to snap a proper before shot. Bad blogger!)
It's Brasstacular isn't it?
Now take a look at what a can of oil rubbed bronze spray paint can do. Oh my gosh, it's a hundred times better. I think I could make it look even less builder grade if I switch out the ribbed glass shades (are they called shades?) for something different.


Now I just have eight brass ceiling fixtures to spray paint from the halls, pantry, laundry room, etc. And then there's the little matter of the chrome (yeah, chrome, not brass) "hollywood vanity" lights in the bathrooms. No amount of spray paint can help those things . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment